Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro

EleganceLouise is a 32 year old living in London with a closet full of shapeless brown garments, romance-free marriage and a job where nobody even notices she exists. One day at a second-hand book store she finds a volume entitled Elegance and decides to regain control of her life.

I don't keep books. In fact, I've decided to read everything in my book case and not buy anything new unless the library doesn't have what I want. And on the rare occasion that I do decide to keep a book it's because I've absolutely fallen in love with it. Guess what, about 3/4 of the way through I knew that this one is a keeper.
It hit all the right notes with its combination of humor and sadness, realism, insightfulness and beautiful writing. The language fit with the story, the characters were alive and relatable, Louise's best friends felt like your own best friends, when she succeeded to cheer and in the end it left me with a smile on my face. What can be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment