Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Pillars of the EarthThis is a story of building of a cathedral in 12th century England. It spans a generation and tells of all the people whose lives were irrevocably altered by this project.

Although I'm only now getting around to posting a review for it this was the first book I finished this year. It gripped me from the very first line and I think it will always stay with me in a way. It's not only because of the masterful storytelling or the compelling plot but also because of the characters who make it impossible to be indifferent. I cannot tell you how many times I frowned at William's despicable actions and cheered for Prior Philip. The latter is firmly on my list of favorite characters, by the way.
Do not be intimidated by this book being one of Oprah's Book Club titles (I know those are often not something we'd pick ourselves) or its size. It is an enjoyable and a very accessible read, beautifully plotted and beautifully written. I highly recommend it and will be purchasing it in hardcover to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment